Kocyk dla Maluszka Baby Blanket for the Little One

Baby Blanket for the Little One


Baby Blanket for the Little One

We are expecting a little baby boy some time soon. I decided that I have some cotton yarn that I could usefully use up before we move out from our current place, and before the baby is born. At the time the little one's Nanny and Great Nanny (from my husband's side of our family) started to crochet and knit jumpers, and so I decided that I would make a thicker blanket.

Right now he has more jumpers than my husband and I together, not to mention six blankets... and all kinds of other clothes and things from my side of the family...
Baby Blanket for the Little One / Kocyk dla Maluszka


The pattern I used is a very common and simple one, but quite effective. I used two skeins (each 340 g / 12 oz and approx 556 m / 608 yds) of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton Ombre yarn and some leftover cotton yarn to make the thicker white stripe. I used 7 mm needles and knitted two strands of yarn together.

Abbreviations:
inc 1 = lifted increase on knit row
k = knit
k2tog = knit next 2 stitches together
yo = yarn over needle
ssk = slip, slip, knit

Pattern:
Cast on 3 stitches.
Row 1: knit, inc 1, turn.
Row 2: knit, inc 1, turn.
Row 3: k 3, yo, k 2, turn.
Row 4: k 3, yo, k 3, turn.
Row 5: k 3, yo, knit to the end of row, turn.
Repeat Row 5 until you obtain the desired width. I knitted until I had 131 stitches on the needle.
Next start decreasing rows.
Decrease Row: k 2, k2tog, yo, ssk, k to the end of row.
Repeat Decrease Row until there are 3 stitches on the needle.
Bind off and weave in the ends.

The size of the blanket is 90 cm2 without stretching.

If you are looking for more free knitting patterns check the AllFreeKnitting where you will also find a link to this post.

www.allfreeknitting.com

Baby Blanket for the Little One / Kocyk dla Maluszka
Baby blanket, full size.
Baby Blanket for the Little One / Kocyk dla Maluszka
Baby blanket, details.